Moving can be a daunting task, however, having a list of basic moving packing tips and tricks, the can become so much easier to manage and accomplish. Continue reading to learn tips you can begin using now!
Here are a few packing tips:
- Get more boxes than you think you will need.
- Get smaller boxes for books. Use bigger boxes for lighter items.
- Make a master list of all household items and your belongings.
- Make a box of essentials and label it “Open Me First”. Put this box to the side to be loaded last (so it’s unloaded first) or bring it with yourself. Your essential box will include: Basic tools such as flashlights, pocket knife, hammer, screwdrivers, nails, masking tape, tape measure, and light bulbs. Add Hand towels, soap, toilet paper, and shampoo.
- Pack room-by-room, keeping similar items together. Remember to use some sort of color-coded method to keep boxes together according to room or number boxes when they are packed and sealed. Clearly indicate on the box its room destination. Write on the master list the contents of the numbered boxes.
- Reinforce the bottom of boxes with at least two strips of packing tape.
- Pack boxes firmly to prevent the contents from shifting during your move.
- Use crumpled paper for padding. Seal boxes tightly with wide packing tape. Some may want to look into an eco-friendly move.
- Pack records and CD’S vertically in boxes. Don’t stack them flat.
- Place heavier items in the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Separate items with paper to prevent scratches caused by rubbing.
- Remove lids from jars and ceramics. Wrap each separately.
- Seal any opened boxes and bottles before packing them to avoid spills and leakage.
- Use towels, linens, curtains, etc. to pad boxes of fragile items. Clearly mark these boxes “FRAGILE”.
- Use a jumbo box for lampshades and cushion them well.
- When disassembling furniture, beds, lamps, etc. put the hardware into a plastic bag along with any assembly tips and tape it to the item itself.
- Use a wardrobe box for hanging clothes. Use the bottom part for shoes and belts.
- If possible ask us if you can leave clothes in dresser drawers (normally it is o.k. if moving from ground floor to ground floor).
Finding Help with Moving Professionals
We hope you found this blog on Basic Moving Packing Tips and Tricks useful. For more Moving Tips, check out this blog on Moving Checklist: What to Ensure Before the Move-In.
Need to Move Furniture? With All Around Moving you don’t need to worry about any unexpected charges. We are always upfront about our prices and take pride in taking care of every need of our customers before and during the move. For a stress-free move where you don’t need to take care of anything contact us today! We are “A+” rated members of the Better Business Bureau and a member of Greater New York Chamber of Commerce & Miami Dade
Discover how uniquely priced we are compared to other moving companies in New York, NY & Miami, Florida. Get a moving quote specifically tailored to your moving needs by calling us TODAY!
Have Experience in the Moving Industry? Want an Additional Income Stream? Work With All Around Moving!
Partner with us and we’ll help you profit. Click here to learn more.