Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to move from New York to Florida?
The expense of moving from New York to Florida can vary based on many factors. In order to determine how expensive moving from NY to FL is, you must consider each of the following:
- Moving company’s long-distance haul rate
- The number of movers required and distance between 2 points
- Time frame it takes to complete the move
- Moving supplies, materials, packing & wrapping
- Amount of household items and furniture
If you hire a professional moving company for a long-distance move, you can expect to pay minimum and at least $1,200. The national average cost for a long-distance move is around $4,300.00.
Where do most New Yorkers move to in Florida?
Depending on the type of New Yorker will determine where they consider to move to in Florida.
Florida offer many appealing options for retirees, young professionals, as well as for families.
Some areas that New Yorkers move to in Florida are the following:
- Pensacola: With several military bases in the area, Pensacola is a largely military friendly community with a relatively small population.
Combine that small town feel with access to white sand beaches on the Gulf Coast and highly rated school systems and this city is a spot for a young family to settle down.
- Population: 53,800
- Median Home Price: $136,300
- Jacksonville: The most populated city in Florida and one of the largest in the country, the city limits here include more residents than other metropolitan areas.
Finding friends that you can get along with will be an easy task because you’ll have a wide variety of people from all walks of life here.
If what you’re looking for includes bustling and culturally robust city life paired with a cost of living lower than Florida’s average, then Jacksonville may be the city for you.
- Population: 880,600
- Median Home Price: 154,700
- Clearwater: One of the top destinations for retirees in the country. Clearwater has a close-knit community feel and a slower pace of life.
Everything from houses to shopping centers are all located near one another, which makes socializing and getting around that much easier.
- Population: 114,360
- Median Home Price: $208,400
- Fort Myers: This city is rapidly growing and is located a few hours from Orlando to the north and Miami to the south.
Positioned on the Gulf Coast, the central location give prospective residents of Fort Myers more day-trip options throughout all areas of the state as opposed to someone who is located further north.
The diverse community is packed with expats and loads of cultural experiences that will expand your horizons.
- Population: 77,150
- Median Home Price: $204,100
- Fort Lauderdale: Being family-oriented and having a thriving job market are a couple of key factors that make Fort Lauderdale a hub for growing families and young professionals.
- Population: 178,750
- Median Home Price: $289,300
Is it cheaper to live in Florida than New York?
It is cheaper to live in Florida than New York. Actually, 79.8% less expensive in most areas.
The median home cost is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference. The median home cost is 177% more expensive in New York.
Expenses in all the following categories are more expensive in New York than in Florida:
- Food & Groceries
- Housing / Rent or Mortgage
How much does it cost to move furniture from New York to Florida?
The cost of a long distance move of furniture can vary from one person to another based on each person requirements and list of household items to be moved. Make sure to do your research on movers in New York. It is important to work with a moving company that is both professional and affordable to serve your needs.
A benefit of hiring a professional moving company to move your furniture is that they have the appropriate personnel and equipment to safely and efficiently move your precious furniture from New York to Florida, holding licenses and insurance as needed, and being skilled movers.
Large, cumbersome pieces of furniture can potentially increase costs. Generally speaking, the cost of moving furniture from NY to FL start at $1,500.00 and up. Your furniture may require more time to move and additional workers and services. Ask if the moving company charges additional for handling bulky items, for an example, and get your customized quote for the furniture move.