Owning a home not only comes with a lot of responsibility, but also a lot of stuff. If you have a yard, you likely also have tools, equipment like lawn mowers and blowers, patio furniture, gardening supplies, rakes and shovels, and more. Sure, you can put some of this in your garage, but if you also keep cars in there or use it as a workspace, you may quickly run out of room.
If you’re in need of a backyard storage shed for your tools, equipment, and other outdoor-related items, a storage container can be the answer. Storage container sheds are repurposed storage containers that can be transformed to fit your needs, including a man cave, she-shed, storage shed, studio, office space, or more.
Surprisingly, creating a backyard shed out of a storage container can be easy and cost effective. Follow these tips to get you started.
How to Make a Shed Out of a Storage Container
If you’ve decided a storage container will meet your shed needs, work with a storage container professional to choose the container in the right size and with the right customizations. Most containers come in a variety of sizes, such as 10, 20 or 40 feet, and a professional will help you choose and purchase the right container and will deliver the container directly to your home.
Then, you can DIY the inside to customize it the way you want.
Designing your shed can be as complicated or simple as you want but will likely still be more cost effective with modifications than purchasing a traditional shed. Storage container sheds come fully constructed and ready to use, so any customizations you make are completely up to you, and you can DIY them or get help from professionals.
After getting the container delivered, think about what you want to store in the shed, or additional uses for the space. Then, brainstorm how you can modify the inside to fit those needs. For example, you can add:
- Shelving for additional storage space.
- Partitions to divide the space and make it easier to organize.
- A ramp to make loading and unloading equipment, like lawn mowers, easier.
- Different flooring so it’s easier to move things around, or just to make the container more aesthetically pleasing.
- Locks or cameras for improved security.
If you want to get a little fancier, you can add things like windows, air conditioning, lighting, or even a TV so you can be comfortable and entertained while doing yard work and work around the house. If you can dream it, you can probably customize your container shed to do it.
Pros and Cons of Storage Container Sheds
If you’ve never heard of a storage container shed or aren’t familiar with the concept, understanding the pros and cons can help make your decision easier.
- Cost effective. Buying a storage container typically costs less than a traditional shed. Plus, they last longer, so you won’t need to replace it or pay for upkeep as often.
- Customizable. As listed above, there are many customizations you can DIY in your container shed to meet your needs. You can also change the inside or make additional customizations over time as your needs or budget change.
- Durable. These containers are built to withstand. They are weather-proof so the items inside will stay dry and protected from wind, rain, and other incidents. They also seal up tight, keeping pests like mice and squirrels out.
- Low maintenance. Storage containers are made from steel, which lasts longer and needs fewer repairs. You’ll spend less time and money taking care of this building.
- Portable. If you’ve built a container shed, you won’t want to leave it behind. If you move, your shed can come with you. Storage containers are easy to transport via truck bed. You will likely want to secure or remove all items within before hauling your storage container shed, however.
- Secure. These containers are difficult to break into, especially if you install locks and other security equipment. This keeps your things inside safe from vandalism or theft.
- Heavy. These containers are heavy, which requires a solid foundation to set the container on (not just dirt). For example, a 20 ft. container can weigh nearly 4,500 pounds! And, while containers are portable, special equipment is required to lift and transport them.
- Size. These containers are typically at least 20 ft., so you’ll need a large yard or space to put it. You’ll also have to check with your city to understand if there are any regulations on sizes of outdoor structures. If so, a container may not work for you.
Maintaining a Storage Container Shed
Once you have your storage container shed delivered and constructed, it’s important to keep it in good condition. While storage containers require very little ongoing maintenance, there are a few things you can do to make sure your shed stands the test of time:
- Repaint peeling paint if spots appear to avoid rust and keep the shed looking nice. Shipping containers are painted with industrialized paint that will protect the steel, and the bottom is sprayed with undercoating to resist corrosion, so you likely won’t have to deal with any issues. However, it’s important to upkeep this if necessary.
- Inspect the leveling of your container. Containers are heavy, and in some cases, settling can occur and it may be necessary to get it aligned. If the doors are hard to open or you feel tilting, get it inspected.
- Ensure doors and windows are draft-free and weather stripping/caulking is intact. This just helps keep the inside free of moisture and pests.
A storage container shed is a great way to add additional living space to your property. A storage container is essentially a blank canvas in which you can get creative. The most important factors are keeping it clean and safe for regular use. Once you have worked with a storage container company like Page Street Leasing to choose the perfect unit and outfit it with everything you need, you’re ready to make it your own.
We hope you found this blog post on DIY Storage Container Shed-Building Tips useful. Be sure to check out our post on Understanding Intermediate Bulk Containers and Their Uses for more great tips!
Have Experience in the Moving Industry? Want an Additional Income Stream? Work With All Around Moving!
Work with us and we’ll help you make money. Adding a new revenue stream to your company is a great method to increase earnings. Every step of the journey, we’ll be there for you. Click here to learn more.