It’s no secret that millennials are on the move. Up to 73% of Americans under the age of 40 say they want to move within the next 10 years. If you’re living in New York City and you’re looking for your next big adventure involving culture, history, shopping, and delicious dining experiences, Chicago is the place for you.
Known for its bold architecture and iconic museums, Chicago is located right on the shores of Lake Michigan with plenty of sights to see every day.
Interested in moving away from NYC? Here are five reasons to consider Chicago for your next big move.
1. Affordability. Affordability is a major issue right now in the U.S. housing market. Housing and rental costs aren’t expected to decline any time soon, either. And if there’s one thing NYC is known for it’s the high housing costs. As of November 2019, the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in NYC is $2,912 a month. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Chicago is $1,623 a month. That’s over a $1,200 difference.
2. Transportation. Chicago may not have NYC’s subways, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Chicago’s Public Transit Authority is the second-largest in the country. There are eight “L” train lines running above city traffic that citizens can ride to get around. Bus fleets are available for areas in between. What’s more, Chicago’s bike-share program provides over 5,000 bicycles for citizens to share throughout the city. Using an app on your phone, you can locate and unlock a bike anywhere in Chicago.
3. Entertainment. It’s no wonder so many comedians have come out of Chicago. Chicago is famous for its entertainment including comedy clubs, film festivals, museums, restaurants, cafes, bars, nightlife, art galleries, and a free public zoo. Sports entertainment includes two MLB teams, the NFL Bears, the NHL Blackhawks, and NBA Bulls.
4. Work prospects. Chicago has a multilayered economy with an unemployment rate below 4% as of October 2019. The city is a working-class town with a strong union influence in many robust industries including railroad, shipping, warehousing, truck lines, food processing, and manufacturing. The financial sector of Chicago is also strong as it’s the headquarters for the Federal Reserve Bank’s Midwest sector. Chicago’s publishing and printing industry is the second-largest in the nation, too, and rivals that of NYC.
5. Midwestern charm. If you’re looking for friendlier neighbors, Chicago is where you’ll find them. This lakeside city has many people from smaller Midwestern cities like Kansas City, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and St. Louis who have all brought their Midwestern charm to the nation’s third-largest city.
It’s stressful to prepare for a long-distance move whether you’re moving to Chicago for the great food or for more affordable housing. To save on moving costs and packing supplies, be sure to declutter and have your garage sales before your big move.
Once you have everything together, hire a trusted moving company to help take the rest of the work off your hands so you can focus on enjoying what Chicago has to offer instead of stressing over what you need to move.
Finding Help with Moving Professionals
We hope you found this blog on 5 Good Reasons To Move From NYC To Chicago useful. For more information on services available about moving to Chicago, check out this one blog of Moving to Chicago.
Need to Move Furniture? With All Around Moving you don’t need to worry about any unexpected charges. We are always upfront about our prices and take pride in taking care of every need of our customers before and during the move. For a stress-free move where you don’t need to take care of anything contact us today! We are “A+” rated members of the Better Business Bureau and a member of Greater New York Chamber of Commerce & Miami Dade
Discover how uniquely priced we are compared to other moving companies in New York, NY & Miami, Florida. Get a moving quote specifically tailored to your moving needs by calling us TODAY!