If you’re considering adding a deck to your home, there are many things you need to consider before you start construction. A professional Virginia deck builder can help guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
Still, it’s helpful to have some knowledge beforehand about what goes into building a deck. This blog post will discuss the key factors you need to consider before starting your project.
Necessary Factors to Consider Before Building a Deck
Building a deck can be a fun and rewarding project, but you should consider a few things before starting construction. We’ll cover everything you need to ensure your deck is successful! Building a deck is a significant investment, so you’ll need to do your research before you start construction. Here are several things to keep in mind:
What is Your Budget?
Deck construction can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand, depending on the size and materials you choose. Ensure that you factor in permits and labor when hiring a professional to do the job. Are you adding new structures to the porch, lighting, seating, and railings? Be sure to set a realistic budget.
What is The Purpose of Your Deck?
Are you looking to add an entertaining outdoor space? A place to relax and enjoy the outdoors? Or somewhere for your kids and pets to play? Knowing how you’ll use your deck will help you determine your new space’s size, shape, and location. You can use a deck for:
● Outdoor Dining
● A place for a container garden
● As a pool or spa surrounding
What Materials Will You Use?
Various materials are available for deck construction, from wood to composite to aluminum. Consider the look you want for your home and the maintenance required for each type of material. For example, wood decks require more upkeep than composite or PVC, but they offer a natural look that can be stained or painted to match your home’s exterior.
● Composites like Trex Transcend and Trex Select, and PVC materials are low-maintenance options in various colors and styles. They’re more expensive than wood but require less upkeep over time.
● Aluminum decks are a newer option on the market and offer various benefits, including being lightweight, durable, and low maintenance. However, they can be more expensive than other materials.
Consider the Deck’s Style
Your home may influence the style of your deck. A deck should complement rather than compete with your house. For example, a circular or curved deck with finely carved railings may appear misplaced, but it looks excellent on other properties. Follow the architectural features of your home to ensure that it is a natural and seamless addition to your property.
Can You Build It Yourself?
Calculate the cost of materials and factor in your labor to decide if building your deck will save you money. More complicated designs are an option if you’re experienced with do-it-yourself home improvement. Otherwise, stick to a simple platform deck—they have a timeless look and are easy enough for anyone to construct.
When choosing whether to hire a deck builder or do the job yourself, you should remember a few things. First, how quickly do you want the project completed? Are you okay with spending multiple hours sawing and nailing wood, or would you rather someone else handle that aspect of the project?
Are You Putting in Deck Lighting?
Deck lights are a great way to add ambiance and safety to your deck. The type and amount of lighting you choose will affect the design and budget for your project. Here are some types of deck lights and locations to consider:
● Path lights
● Recessed step lights
● Wall or post-mounted lights
The Location of Your Deck
Where you place your deck can significantly impact the design, function, and cost of your project. If you’re planning to build a new deck, consider these factors:
● Proximity to doors: You’ll want easy access from your house to the deck, so factor that into the location.
● Proximity to trees: If your deck is next to trees, you’ll need to consider the roots and shade from the branches.
● Size and shape: the size of your deck will be determined by the size of your lot and the use cases for your space.
● Zoning regulations: Check with your local zoning department to see if there are any restrictions on where you can build your deck.
Should You DIY Your New Deck?
Building a deck can be a rewarding experience, but it’s not for everyone. However, some designs don’t require professional skills and are easy enough for anyone to build. These decks are typically square or rectangular and made with pressure-treated lumber, which is easy to work with and doesn’t require special tools.
If carpentry or construction isn’t your forte, hiring a professional deck builder is best. They can handle the design and construction of your deck and obtain any necessary permits. Building a deck is a big project, and it’s essential to do it right.
How to Avoid Making Mistakes
Building a deck is a significant investment, so you’ll want to avoid making any mistakes that could cost you time and money. If DIY isn’t the route you want to go, here are a few tips for finding a reputable deck builder:
● Check their credentials: Make sure the deck builder is licensed and
● Hire a professional deck builder: if you’re not experienced with home improvement projects, hire a professional contractor.
● Get a written estimate: Get a detailed estimate that includes the materials, labor, and other associated costs.
● Get everything in writing: Once you’ve decided to hire a deck builder, get a written contract that outlines the scope of work and everything involved.
● Check for reviews: Read online and ask for referrals from friends or family.
Building a new deck or replacing parts of your old one can be a fun and rewarding experience, but there are some things you need to consider before you start. With this guide, you can be sure you’re making the best decisions for your deck project.
Hire a Virginia Deck Builder For Your Project
When it comes to complex or large-scale patio projects, it’s always best to hire a professional. A Virginia deck builder has the experience and expertise to handle your project from start to finish.
The team at Prince William Home Improvement has the experience and skills to handle your deck project. We’ll work with you to create a custom design that fits your needs and budget. Contact us today for a free estimate to start your deck project!
We hope you found this blog post on Deck Building Guide: What to Consider Before You Start useful. Be sure to check out our post on 4 Situations That Require a Professional Locksmith for more great tips!
Have Experience in the Moving Industry? Want an Additional Income Stream? Work With All Around Moving!
Our unique Work With Us program gives the opportunity to experienced moving consultants to run their own Moving Consultant business from anywhere in the United States. Click here to learn more.