Shipping containers are very strong and sturdy, therefore they are capable of holding heavyweight boxes, delivery of any freight, and are capable of any type of handling. The shipping containers can hold boxes made up of steel or ridged boxes. Transporting shipping containers is possible using trucks, rails, and ship. This article discusses various procedures for transporting a shipping containers with modified design in the following section of the article.
Vehicle Requirement to Carry Transport Shipping Container
To transport shipping containers, various factors like size and length of the container are considered, based on these factors the number of trucks needed are calculated. The trucks with a total of 24 wheels must be chosen to withstand and move along with the containers. To load the container from storage space to the truck, a forklift will be used. To lift the container from the truck, a crane will be used.
Different Means to Transport Shipping Containers
The following are the different means of transport for shipping containers.
There are three types of trucks that are used to transport shipping containers depending upon the shape of the container.
- Tilt-bed truck: This type of truck is used for shipping container transport, where it has to travel for less than 200 miles alone. The trucks bed can be tilted to the degree of angle, where the container slides easily to the ground without the need for a crane to lift the container. But there should be ample space and the ground must be flat and dry.
- Flat-bed truck: This type of shipping truck is very cost-effective, and it can be transported for greater than 200 miles. In case of a tilt-bed truck, for each mile, the charge will add up. Transport shipping containers requires a crane or forklift to place the container to the designated site.
- Step-deck truck: Some kind of containers are very tall at 9.5 feet. They cannot be accommodating in a flat-bed or tile-bed container. The step-deck truck will have a step like a fixed bed, where the bed is very lower to the ground, to satisfy the height requirement. In this type of truck, cranes or forklifts are required to place the container to the designated site.
The transporting of shipping containers can be made using trains if the container’s storage space (both origin and destination) is the same but it may cost more than truck shipping. Additionally, many certificates have to be obtained in the railway department, and getting space in the train is not an easy task due to a shortage of space.
Transporting shipping containers initially was done by ships and boats for overseas transportation. But it was expensive, and many rules and regulations had to be followed concerning the container’s weight, height and content.
Removal Mechanism of The Container from The Truck
Once the shipping containers are brought to the site, it has to be carefully taken off from the truck, to avoid breakage or damage, the following specifications have to be followed:
- If the size of the containers is 20 feet or less than 20 feet, a forklift with 6-foot tines has to be used to lift the shipping container from the truck.
- If the size of the container is greater than 20 feet, a forklift with 8-foot tines will be employed.
These were the various means of transporting the shipping container based on the size and height of the container. Hope, this information was sufficient enough and provided you with all the necessary details regarding transport shipping container.
Finding Help with Moving Professionals
We hope you found this blog post on Transporting Shipping Containers by Various Means useful. Be sure to check out our post on Your Friendly Guide to International Shipping Terms for more great tips!
Need to Move Furniture? With All Around Moving you don’t need to worry about any unexpected charges. We are always upfront about our prices and take pride in taking care of every need of our customers before and during the move. For a stress-free move where you don’t need to take care of anything contact us today! We are “A+” rated members of the Better Business Bureau and a member of Greater New York and Miami Dade Chambers of Commerce.
Discover how uniquely priced we are compared to other moving companies in New York, NY & Miami, Florida. Get a moving quote specifically tailored to your moving needs by calling us TODAY!