There are many materials that you can choose to use on your roof when it is time to replace it. Whether your roof is just getting old or there was some damage due to a storm, it is a good idea to look at the options and decide what is going to be the best for you. Asphalt shingles are generally seen as the most common option because of their look and the many options that come while they are affordable. But there are actually a few different types of asphalt shingles that you can choose including:
Luxury or Designer Shingles
These are going to be on the higher end of the asphalt shingles that you can choose. They can go by the name of 3D shingles or designer shingles. They will come in many shapes, colors, and styles and can look like clay, slate, or wood shake. This can give you a lot of choices for your home and all of them will look amazing as well.
There are a few benefits that come with choosing this type of asphalt shingle including:
- It comes in the widest selection of colors and styles on the market.
- It has the highest rating when it comes to impact, fire, and wind.
- It is lighter than tile or stone, so it will not be too heavy for your home, while still being the high-quality that you need.
There are also a few things that you may not like about this kind of shingle as well and it may be enough to have you choose one of the other options. Some of the negatives of this kind of shingle include:
- It can be quite expensive
- It is heavier than the other shingle options and that could be hard on older homes.
- It can take a lot longer for you to install compared to the other asphalt shingles.
You will find that this type of shingle is going to cost about $1000 per square on average. But you get what you pay for when it comes to the quality that these shingles have.
Dimensional or Architectural
Next on the list is the dimensional shingles. These are going to be the ones that you find the most in homes around you. They can last a long time, with most having a 20 to 50 year warranty on them. This allows you to have some peace of mind when it comes to the safety of your home and how long the roof is going to last for you.
There are a number of benefits that you can enjoy when it comes to picking out dimensional asphalt shingles for your home an these include:
- They come in a wide range of colors so they can suit most homes
- Have a high level for impact, wind, and fire
- Moderate to high quality
There are also a few negatives that can come with choosing to get this kind of shingle compared to some of the others. Some of the drawbacks of going with this kind of shingle includes:
- It is going to be more expensive than the 3-tab asphalt shingles that we will talk about in a bit, but still more affordable than the luxury shingles.
- It is not going to be able to mimic the shake or the slate shingles.
- It is heavier than 3-tab, which can be a problem if you need to worry about the weight of your home.
This one is going to be less expensive than the luxury shingles, almost by half, which can make them more affordable for most homeowners. On average, they will come in at $500 per square. These are the most common options to help protect your home.
Tab or Strip
The final option that we are going to look at when it comes to asphalt shingles is the three-tab shingle. These are inexpensive and thin, but they can still last for a good amount of time, with some brands being able to go with a 30-year lifespan. They will have some cutouts that run along the bottom, which helps it to be sturdier so that it is able to last for a lot longer than you would like.
There are a number of benefits that you will be able to enjoy when it comes to picking out this type of asphalt shingles. These benefits are going to include:
- This is the least expensive option, so if you are worried about the cost of getting your roof repaired or replaced, then this is the one to choose.
- It is quick to install so you will not have to wait as long as you would think.
However, you can imagine that there will be a few drawbacks to choosing this kind of material on your roof as well. Some of the drawbacks include:
- It will only last 20 years, which is nowhere near as long as some of the other materials.
- Lowest impact, wind, and fire ratings on the market for these shingles
- Have a very low warranty because they are not considered high-quality like the others.
The cost of these can be much lower than you will see with some of the other asphalt shingles on the market. You will be able to get this for about $100 per square on average, making it one of the least expensive options that you can choose. This will help you to stay on a budget and can be installed quickly.
When you are looking into residential roof service, you want to make sure that you are choosing the best material to get it done. When you go through some of the homes in your town, it is likely that the material you will see the most will be asphalt shingles. This is an easy material to use that can look nice, comes in many colors so it looks nice on the building, and can last a long time. Take a look at some of the benefits above to see if this is the right choice for the top of your home.
We hope you found this blog post on The Types of Asphalt Shingles useful. Be sure to check out our post on Top Five Signs You Need To Repair Your Roof for more great tips!
Have Experience in the Moving Industry? Want an Additional Income Stream? Work With All Around Moving!
Partner with All Around Moving & join the Work With Us program. We will help you make money arranging professional moving services, by establishing your own moving consultant business operation. Click here to learn more.