Curtains have existed for times that we cannot even remember. They have been there with us since ancient times. But when did the first curtain appear and what is the history behind it? Let’s take a walk back down the timeline and read a bit about curtains.
A Sneak Peek into The History of Curtains
Most people always find it interesting to talk about anything related to history. And, when it comes to curtains, some even wait eagerly to learn more about them before buying one themselves. The exact year of the invention of curtains is questionable. Still, only historians can evaluate its approximate date. It dates to 3000 BC to the Egyptian kingdoms, where the first curtains were seen.
Moreover, the evidence has it that the early Egyptians used animal skins as curtains for their doorways. Gradually as time went by, they started using materials spun from flax and linen. As they progressed further, they started using wool, cotton, and silk. More evidence of curtains in other regions was dug out from the excavation sites of the ancient Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum and the Greek city of Olynthus. They served not only as shields in doorways but also acted as room dividers.
Variety Of Curtain Materials
There are so many options on the market that ultimately you will end up becoming a confused soul when you go out there shopping for your curtains. Moreover, the type or design of curtain you choose could heavily impact the whole décor of your room. It will speak tons about your personality and speak about the family that inhabits those four walls. So be judicious while you go curtain shopping.
Now for the choice of your curtain materials, there are plenty. You can scroll down and look out for the one that suits your cozy nest: –
- Linen – These curtain materials are suitable for your bedrooms, dining area, and contemporary and coastal living. It will allow light to pass through, making it perfect for a room with plenty of natural lighting for those who prefer it. Moreover, linen is highly durable and UV resistant.
- 100% cotton – They are very light in weight. It is easy to clean and maintain. Being an organic fabric, it is naturally strong and durable while it allows natural light to filter through. It is also soft and very fine-drawn.
- Velvet – Being very thick in its constitution they naturally provide a lot of privacy. It also helps to keep out light and sound, while providing good-quality insulation. Its formal look makes it suitable for rooms where guests arrive.
- Cotton-blend – The name suggests that cotton is blended with another material known as polyester. This blend makes it flexible and suitable for use in any room. They are wrinkle-resistant and easy to clean. If curtain liners are paired with cotton blend, they would give you a lot of privacy.
- Polyester – They are sturdy, durable, and affordable but should not be used in kitchens.
- Rayon – Looks like silk and is very strong and durable. They are very soft but cannot be machine-washed.
- Synthetic – They are made from nylon, rayon, acrylic and polyester which are quite cheap.
- Silk – Very heavy and can be used for all formal settings.
- Lace – Its sheer constitution gives it an open and airy look and feel.
- Sateen – It is woven like satin but with cotton threads.
- Burlap – This is for the rustic feel and is suitable for farmhouses.
- Microfiber – This is tightly woven synthetic fiber and is a cheap option.
- Bamboo – Very eco-friendly and made from bamboo.
How To Choose the Best Curtain?
- Be certain about the room that you will hang your curtain in.
- The right fabric creates that magic in your room.
- Color plays a significant role.
- Prints also matter a lot.
- The perfect length for curtains is also essential.
- Measuring the right dimensions help in choosing the right curtains.
- Matching trims and other accessories are important.
- Decide where you can use lined or unlined material for curtains.
- The maintenance that goes into is quite vital.
- The hanging method is also another decisive factor to consider.
These are some of the things you need to know before purchasing curtains for your home. Remember, your chosen theme and style will greatly influence the room where you hang the curtains at your house.
We hope you found this blog post on Tips On Choosing the Best Curtains for Your Home useful. Be sure to check out our post on The Best Home Improvement Projects for Summer for more great tips!
Have Experience in the Moving Industry? Want an Additional Income Stream? Work With All Around Moving!
Relocation and Moving Consultant: Join the Work With Us program! We provide you with the carriers, or you can use your own carriers, and by joining, you could have your own company up and running very fast.
Click here to learn more and how a nominal one-time start-up fee gives you the “key” to have your business.