Check Out This Unique Moving Checklist
The moving process isn’t always easy. That’s why at All Around Moving Services Company Inc. we take the time to make things easier for our customers.
As you start making your way through the moving process, it becomes more important than ever to stay organized. If you were wondering: Is there a checklist for moving?, you came to the right place!
We’ve created this blog article to help you stay on top of your move, and answer questions such as: What are 4 things you should do before you move in?
3-4 Months Before You Move
- Schedule your moving day. Your moving cost may vary as much as 30 percent depending on the time of year of your move. Summer is the most convenient time, but also the most expensive.
- Research your moving method (hiring movers or truck rentals) and get at least three moving estimates to compare.
- Review your rights and responsibilities as the consumer, get detailed answers to your Frequently Asked Questions.
- Start a folder to organize your move and keep important documents handy: estimates, checklists, receipts, Bill of Lading.
- Coordinate packing and storage services if necessary.
- Research packing tips and hacks to make moving process more organized.
- Research your resources at your destination location. The more familiar you are with the area, the less disorienting it will feel when you first move:
- Find your nearest grocery store, home improvement store, pharmacy.
- Locate places for quick bites your family enjoys.
- Locate physicians and dentists nearby in your healthcare network.
- Parks and recreation for that needed timeout from unpacking.
- Research and form a back-up plan for alternate housing, if new home access gets delayed. (VRBO, Airbnb).
- Collect free boxes from restaurants, grocery, retail, bookstores and office supply stores.
- If you own your home and plan to sell, make arrangements to put it on the market. Depending on the local market and time of year, the home may take weeks or even a month or two to sell. A realtor can help you prepare the home for sale and determine asking price. Keep in mind that your home may sell before you’re quite ready to move. In that case, you may have to negotiate with the buyer to lease the home from them for a period of time.
- If you plan to keep your home and rent it out, make arrangements to rent it out. A realtor can help you prepare the home for rental, determine a rental rate, and find prospective tenants.
1-2 Months Before You Move
- Measure doorways, stairways, and elevators to ensure your furniture will fit in your new space.
- To keep costs to a minimum, only move items that you plan to use at your new home. Create a “pack it or trash it list”.
- Lock in your move date and moving quote rate. Fridays can be helpful because you can continue moving throughout the weekend.
- Purchase moving insurance to protect your belongings during the move for all valuable items
- If you are packing your own items before the move, get packing supplies such as special boxes, tape, padding, markers, etc.
- Transfer important records such as medical and dental records and children’s school records (if applicable).
- Begin packing and cleaning areas of your home that are not frequently used: garage, spare room, attic, shed, basement.
- Pack clothing and decorative items that are out of season.
- For items on the “trash it” list, make arrangements to sell, donate, or discard these items. Coordinate a yard or garage sale if needed. Declutter your home and purge unwanted items.
- Any time of year that you move, it’s a good idea to follow The Ultimate Move Out/ Move In Home Cleaning Checklist.
3-4 Weeks Before You Move
- What should I do 30 days before moving? Pack and reserve items that you may need frequently or quick access to separately and make sure they are easily accessible during your moving process.
- If you have children, be sure to make it fun while also getting them involved in the packing process.
- Ensure no necessary medications are packed.
- Begin using up perishable foods.
- Make arrangements with the employer to be present at your home on moving day to supervise packing and loading.
- Measure windows and rooms in the new home to figure out what will fit; buy new window treatments as needed.
- If you’re renting, notify your current landlord or property manager of your intention to move out. Schedule a move out inspection. Inform the landlord or manager of your forwarding address to receive your returned security deposit.
- Schedule walk-through of new home with realtor/landlord/property management if possible.
- Before disconnecting, take photos of electronics for easy set up in a new home.
- If renting, address minor repairs. This increases your chances of receiving more of your security deposit.
- Schedule disconnection and connection of home services:
- Electric- 2-4 days after move date at current home to allow for delays
- Lawn/snow service
- Cleaning service Pool Service
- Pest Control
- Water Softener Local Memberships
- Be sure to check in with your moving expert at All Around Moving Services Company Inc. Inform experts of updates and changes regarding your moving process details.
- Confirm with HR at a new job the important dates such as orientation.
- Complete a change-of-address checklist. Be sure to update: banks, legal companies, magazines, credit cards, insurance, and subscription services. Also complete a change of address form with the Post Office or online.
- Squeeze in some fun with goodbye parties with all important people in your life.
- Prepare all final travel plans including booking any airfare, scheduling appropriate tune-ups if traveling in a vehicle, and confirm any hotel bookings.
- Finalize your plans for your pet(s) if applicable i.e. travel medication, records, boarding. Read here Ways To Relocate Your Pets Safely & Easily.
- Prep two weeks of meals and use everything in the freezer.
- Return borrowed items from friends, family and neighbors.
- Arrange for a babysitter or play date to keep young children safe during the move. Visit our blog to learn 5 Planning Tips For Moving Long Distance With Children
- Update your address with Amazon to ensure monthly subscriptions arrive at your new home. Cancel and/or redirected scheduled deliveries, such as back ordered items.
- Change your address for your insurance and car registration and driver’s license.
- Transfer your homeowners or renter’s insurance to your new home.
- If you have pets, make arrangements to move them. Moving is stressful for pets – it may be best to put your dog or cat in a pet hotel on moving day. If they won’t be riding in your car with you to your new home, then you’ll have to contact a pet transport service to move your pets. If you’ll be flying to your destination, contact the airline regarding policies for transporting pets.
1-2 Weeks Before You Move
- What should I do 2 weeks before moving? Consider adding packing services if you are falling behind on self-packing.
- Finalize your packing, update your moving expert of additional changes.
- Label all boxes accordingly and be sure to pay close attention to packing fragile/antique items and label them accordingly..
- Properly dispose of hazardous, corrosive, flammable and electronic materials. Here is a detailed list to assist you in packing safely.
- Clean outdoor furniture before it’s moved.
- Order a dumpster for oversized or larger quantities of items or call your favorite charity donation center. Here are 5 Things To Consider Before Hiring Skip Bins.
- Change the locks if necessary/applicable.
- Signal items that need to remain in the home with a bright sticker i.e. appliance warranty book. Set aside any needed tools for disassembly and repair (screwdriver, pliers, wrench, etc.). Continue cleaning and getting rid of items that you are not moving with you.
- Empty out any safe deposit boxes you may have and store them in a safe location. Make a private list of which boxes you packed your valuables in or keep them with you. Set up your new bank accounts (if applicable).
- Select school, doctor and dentist. Have records transferred.
- Make an action plan for moving day and check the weather. Here are tips for moving in Summer.
- Remove valuables from the car before shipping (even spare tires and car jacks go missing), In fact, you can also read the following 10 Tips to Prepare Your Car For Shipment.
- Put any valuables in a separate container to carry with you during the move. These include any items that can’t be replaced and personal records, like heirlooms, photo albums, jewelry, precious metals, and financial, medical, and school records
Day Of Move
- Remove bedding and break down beds
- Pack an essentials box with everything you’ll need for your first 24 hours in your new home. (coffee pot, coffee, sugar, mugs, toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, hand towels, dish soap, shower curtain, toiletries, disposable plates, cutlery and cups, bedding).
- Disconnect and return cable and internet equipment to the provider.
- Take photographs of your empty place to prove it’s in move-out condition.
- Make copies of your new keys.
- Pick up a rental truck, if applicable.
- Walk movers through the house to give an overview of what you want loaded. Make sure the movers have your new residence address.
- After everything has been loaded, do a last walk around before signing off on the inventory list.
- Point out all fragile/valuable boxes to ensure special care is taken when packing/loading.
- Carefully check inventory and bill of lading for moved and shipped items.
- Go through the entire property to ensure nothing was left behind. Be sure to check the yard, balcony, storage sheds, and attic.
- Conduct a move out inspection with the landlord or property manager if applicable. Return the home and mailbox keys to the landlord or property manager.
- After the move, cross-check the bill of lading with the items that were delivered to ensure everything arrived.
- Go through every box to check for anything that was damaged in transit. You typically have nine months after a move to file a claim for damage with the moving company.
We hope you found this blog post Moving Checklist, Guide & Tips for Move Planning 2023 useful. Be sure to check out our post Tips for a Successful Local Move for more great tips!
Have Experience in the Moving Industry? Want an Additional Income Stream? Work With All Around Moving!
Join this unique opportunity! Put your experience and drive to good use. Profit as a moving consultant. Click here to learn more.