Your commercial move doesn’t have to be difficult. With the right amount of organization and the help of All Around Moving Services Company, you’ll be settled in to your new location, up and running and back to work at no time.
Here is a checklist you can follow if you are planning on an upcoming move.
Business Move Checklist
- Select a move committee. This is typically made of representatives from IT, HR, Operations and other interested and qualified people.
- Establish a preliminary relocation budget.
- Determine whether the move warrants hiring a third-party move management consultant. If so, interview and hire third-party partner.
- Coordinate moving of servers with IT provider/support.
- Contact telecommunications/data provider to schedule a cut-over date.
- Contact telephone provider to get new numbers or move existing.
- Order data circuits and/or specialty circuits (check for lead times).
- Order phone lines for elevator, security and any other item that may require a phone line.
- Hire a Moving Services Provider and provide them with the Management ´s company information to issue Certificate of Insurance if needed.
- Determine if any equipment requires specialized or approved vendors to move it. This could include copiers, lab equipment, certain electronics or manufacturing equipment.
- Check existing lease for restoration requirements/conditions for returning current space to landlord.
- Reserve the building elevator (existing for move out, new for move in).
- Order keys from the building.
- Contact the building to confirm locations of signage.
- Hire signage vendor to plan, get approval for, and install new signage.
- Obtain a qualified mover by interviewing 2-4 companies, depending on the size of job.
- Order new stationery, business cards and forms.
- Notify your clients of change of address.
- Contact the post office for change of address.
- Contact your bank for change of address.
- Notify vendors of change of address (coffee service, vending machines, etc.).
- Contact the IRS for change of address.
- Change address with any publications that are delivered to office.
- Notify insurance carrier of change of address and new office’s requirements.
- Obtain certificates of insurance for the landlord, and any entities required by the lease.
- Contact the Franchise Tax Board for change of address.
- Contact the Employment Development Department for change of address.
- Contact the Secretary of State for change of address.
2 Months Prior to Move
- Coordinate with IT on server move, desktop, and PBX timelines.
- Assemble ‘Move Team’ with each department having a ‘Move Liaison’.
- Schedule weekly move coordination meetings – prepare and distribute weekly minutes & schedules.
- Review & define areas of responsibility
- Move sequencing/timeline preparation
- Collect all furniture layout plans from employees for their new spaces.
- Common areas (coffee/break rooms, copy rooms, etc.)
- De-installation & installation responsibilities – coordination of timing
- Prepare lab equipment ID matrix of all equipment moving (if applicable) – check/review special equipment installation compatibility/requirements (coordinate with users).
- Develop preliminary move schedule.
1 Month Prior to Move
- Assign move numbers/labeling/tagging scheme – prepare floor plans/layouts.
- Create employee move packets and instructions on how to move.
- Prepare agenda for employee move orientation meeting.
- Create public relations campaign with press releases to highlight new location and/or office-warming party.
- Secure off-site storage location for old files.
- Discuss and agree on move insurance needs with company.
- Modify new space to meet equipment demands as necessary (coordinate with users).
- Determine security procedures for the move.
- Coordinate to add your listing to lobby directory at new site
- Fine tune move schedule.
2 Weeks Prior to Move
- Finalize move schedule.
- Hold employee move orientation meeting.
- Distribute employee move packets.
- Schedule packing material and label delivery.
- Prepare employee welcome packet to the new space (restrooms, gyms, break rooms, copy rooms, etc.).
- Move team preparation for move – channels for communication, change requests, etc.
- Schedule move day on site help.
- Create a list of emergency contact’s, cell phone numbers, and vendors that includes moving company, building management, utilities, telecommunications, etc.
- Identify ‘lost and found’ at both origin and destination.
- Identify move command central – for mover and employee inquiries.
- Select cleaning vendor for post-move.
- Schedule additional packing material and label delivery.
- Tag and label destination site – room numbering and equipment IDs.
- Mount ‘You are here’ floor plans and color-coding instructions.
- Schedule training for all emergency procedures at new location.Distribute contact lists for emergency/on site/on call lists.
- Review and finalize all move sequences/schedules – distribute to move team.
- Prep building for move – surface protection, corner guards, etc.
- Distribute new security ID card key entry badges.
- As close as possible to moving day – change locks and access codes at new location.
- Assign origin and destination move liaisons.
- On site help to coordinate move related questions, etc.
- Complete job walk each day of move of schedule/completion/damage, etc.
- Prepare ‘To-Do’ lists.
- Allocate keys and/or access cards for new location.
- Distribute employee welcome packets at their new destinations.
We hope this checklist helps you out in your next move, think of us and call us Today!
Visit us at All Around Moving Services
or give us a call 212-781-4118